Visitor Services Supervisor
Organisation: The National Trust for Scotland
Salary: £22,572 pro-rata, per annum
Location: Mar Lodge
This job exists in order to manage and develop Mar Lodge’s functions business, corporate/private hire and sporting client support. To ensure income opportunities are maximised in the context of consistently high standards of customer care and lodge presentation.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
The key purposes of the job will be met by:
• Developing and managing relationships with potential and existing corporate and private hire clients, such that Mar Lodge continually develops and maintains its status as a ‘destination’ venue, renowned for its excellence of customer service.
• Leading teams which include members of other Mar Lodge departments and outside contractors such that there is absolute clarity of objectives, tasks and standards; and ensure their delivery towards a collective goal.
• Developing and managing the functions business to increase income as part of the property’s drive for sustainability and help raise the profile of the work of the Trust at Mar Lodge in its wider context.
• Managing allocated budgets to ensure that income targets are met (or exceeded) and that expenditure is prudent and ‘value for money’
• Managing equipment and supplies (such as banqueting furniture, catering equipment and supplies) to ensure the operational efficacy of the Lodge.
• Working within Health & Safety regime to ensure the H&S of staff/volunteers, clients and visitors within the context of the Trust’s “Safe System of Work” regime.
• Personally participating in functions preparation and delivery (preparation for and front-of-house, corporate/private hire events/sporting clients)
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS, EXPERIENCE & KNOWLEDGE
• Practical, demonstrable experience of hospitality/catering/events development and management.
• Demonstrable experience of selling and promoting hospitality/catering/events in a competitive marketplace.
• Practical experience of staff management or supervision.
• Effective verbal and written communication skills and would be a successful salesperson in a competitive marketplace.
• Competent IT skills.
• Full current driving licence for driving in the UK.
• Recognised Higher Education level qualification in catering/hospitality/marketing or events management.
• Personal licence holder (or be willing to train)
• Current First aid certification (or be willing to train and use)
• Current food hygiene certification (or be willing to train)
DIMENSIONS AND SCOPE OF JOB
• Functions at Mar Lodge can range from intimate family dinners and tours to large corporate events and weddings for up to 200 guests. Every function requires the same level of planning and care to deliver an outstanding product to our clients which should exceed their expectations, be value for money for the client, whilst also giving a profit to the NTS. As Visitor Services Supervisor you are required to work alone for the majority of the time, so you must have good self-motivation and organisational skills, but also be able to lead a team of other department members and exterior contractors to deliver the event as has been planned with the client in a smooth and professional manner.
• The post involves some physical activity including prospective client tours of the facilities, and lifting and carrying. The Lodge is split over several levels, many of which accessible other than by the stairs. Due to the nature of hospitality/functions business frequent evening and weekend work can be expected. The post-holder may be required to undertake errands around the estate and to/from local businesses as well as attending meetings at other Trust venues, practical only by vehicle.
• Is a member of Mar Lodge Management team. Will have frequent liaison with other Trust specialists and advisers such as Holidays, Housekeeping, Estate, Conservators and Curators.
• Will have frequent contact with visitors, particularly corporate/private hire clients as well as holiday apartment lessees.
• Will liaise with and manage external contractors and suppliers.
• Delegated budget responsibility for functions & events budget.
Example key performance indicators and targets
• The KPI’s of this role include meeting or exceeding the finance targets set by head office.
• Increasing the reputation of Mar Lodge as a destination venue.
• Developing relationships with new clients to increase business at Mar Lodge.
The Key Responsibilities, Scope of Job, and Required Qualifications, Skills, Experience & Knowledge reflect the requirements of the job at the time of issue. The Trust reserves the right to amend these with appropriate consultation and/or request the post-holder to undertake any activities that it believes to be reasonable within the broad scope of the job or his/her general abilities.
Application Deadline: Friday 19/11/2021