Visitor Services Supervisor - Food and Beverage
Organisation: The National Trust for Scotland
Salary: £24,737 - £26,395 pro-rata, per annum
Location: Brodie Castle
Here at National Trust for Scotland’s beautiful Brodie Castle we are looking for energetic, cheerful, and talkative individuals to join our amazing Food and Beverage team. We would love to hear from people who have previous catering experience with some supervision/coaching of team members in any sector, who can interact and chat with our guests and make them feel welcomed and valued from the minute they arrive until we wish them farewell. This role is vital in coaching our team to provide our guests with the best possible service in whichever food outlet they have chosen to visit and helping our visitors to create wonderful memories. The role is varied and there will be days when you are reviewing all the health and safety standards or training new team members, but there will also be days where you may be creating the best barista coffee, making up a sandwich or serving a refreshing ice cream. Whatever you are doing you’ll help us maximize all charity income opportunities through excellent customer service, product knowledge and taking pride in everything we do.
• Assisting the Visitor Services Manager – Catering in fulfilling a standard in all areas of Food Hygiene and Health & Safety within the context of the catering operation.
• Undertake the induction/ongoing training of staff on all front-of-house procedures, customer care and equipment cleaning.
• Provide support to the Visitor Services Manager – Catering & Hospitality by ensuring; daily and weekly record keeping; stock ordering and maintenance of associated records; waste management and development of staff rotas.
• Undertaking duty management when required.
• Cash reconciliation
• Deputising for the Visitor Services Manager – Catering & Hospitality when required.
• Delivering a high standard of customer service.
• A leader within a team and taking a proactive approach to problems.
• Ensuring health and welfare of property staff, volunteers, and visitors.
Department specific – catering
• To assist with catering preparation, cooking and presentation of food to the standards required by the Trust for a facility with estimated annual income target more than £300K.
• To be the lead in customer service within the Catering and Hospitality team
• To ensure that the location meets statutory and company requirements of Health and Safety, Food Safety and Environmental legislations and procedures including Waste Disposal and Allergens.
• To conduct Food Safety and Health and Safety Risk Assessments and ensure that all standards and procedures with regards to Hygiene and Safety are established and maintained in line with the Food Safety Management Plan.
• Accountable for stock levels and making key decisions about stock control.
• Responsible for analysing sales figures and forecasting future sales.
• Adhering to the sale of alcohol legislation, being a Premises Manager.
Your role is one for which the duties/responsibilities/accountabilities of the role require you to become a member of the Protection of Vulnerable Groups (PVG) scheme, which replaces the ‘Enhanced Disclosure’ check and is administered by Disclosure Scotland.
SCOPE OF JOB
• Primarily based in Brodie Castle and Playful Garden but will involve working across all departments includes weekend and evening working and helping with events.
• Brodie Castle is set in a 75 acre “policies” estate of mature trees, avenues, and mixed woodlands with a man-made lake.
• The estate contains a significant designed landscape, commercial forestry, amenity woodland and formal gardens as well as agricultural land and a satellite site – Boath Doocot.
• There are two separate retail outlets within the site situated within the Castle and the Playful Garden.
• There are two separate catering outlets within the site within the Castle and Playful Garden, with 2 additional mobile catering outlets.
• Onsite there are 3 holiday cottages sleeping 2, 4 and 6 guests, and the Lairds Apartment luxury holiday let with 7 bedrooms accommodating 14 guests.
• The Estate is well known for large scale visitor events as well as weddings and wider hospitality and corporate functions.
• The post-holder is not a line manager but will assist in the supervisory and leadership role within the Food and Beverage team
• Will work closely with property colleagues and other specialist advisory colleagues
• Not a budget holder but will be expected to take responsibility for effective management of the Catering Operation at Brodie Castle
• Daily/Weekly cash reconciliation.
Tools / equipment / systems
• Access to desktop PC and relevant IT systems, i.e. standard NTS management systems including Intranet, T: Drive, EPOS.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS, EXPERIENCE & KNOWLEDGE
The above outlines the key skills the post-holder will need to possess and exercise. In addition, either knowledge of or experience in the following is required:
NVQ3/BTEC/City & Guilds/HND or equivalent experience.
Ability to work ‘hands-on’ – including in the kitchen/retail and admissions areas – alongside the team members, demonstrating the customer service skills required of all staff.
Experience in a catering and sales environment.
Have direct experience of managing multi-strand visitor/commercial services in a heritage or tourist-attraction context.
Possess excellent communication skills (written and oral)
Computer literacy with excellent ability on MS software.
Excellent leadership and influencing skills.
Understanding of report writing and financial management.
Good time management and organisation skills.
Ability to lead a busy and diverse environment in a supervisory role
Experience with cash handling/working with financial data.
Ability to be proactive and to take initiative.
Current First Aid certification (or willingness to train and use).
Hold a valid and recognised SQA Licensing Qualification e.g. Scottish Personal License Holder’s Certificate and Personal License; (or willingness to train and use);
Intermediate Food Hygiene Certificate or above (or willingness to train and use);
The Key Responsibilities, Scope of Job, and Required Qualifications, Skills, Experience & Knowledge reflect the requirements of the job at the time of issue. The Trust reserves the right to amend these with appropriate consultation and/or request the post-holder to undertake any activities that it believes to be reasonable within the broad scope of the job or his/her general abilities.
Interested applicants should forward a completed application form to People Services Department (Applications), The National Trust for Scotland, Hermiston Quay, 5 Cultins Road, Edinburgh EH11 4DF, by mail or by email via email@example.com, by first post (i.e. 10.00am) on 24th Feb 2023. Interviews are likely to be held at Brodie Castle.
Application Deadline: Friday 24/02/2023