Visitor Services Supervisor - Food & Beverage
Organisation: The National Trust for Scotland
Salary: £25,603 - £27,318 pro-rata, per annum
Location: Haddo House
Do you have a passion for food and providing excellent customer service?
A visit to The Courtyard Café is an important part of a trip to Haddo House & Country Park, for tourists and locals alike.
The café is a family and dog friendly venue, located within the original stable block at Haddo House.
With a mixture of indoor and outdoor seating we aim to cater for everyone, from the grab and go dog walker to the leisurely Sunday brunch crowd.
We pride ourselves on a warm welcome and a homely menu, serving up soups, as well as hearty meals such as macaroni cheese and deliciously tasty sandwiches. We also have a variety of treats for the sweet-toothed visitors, not forgetting our fabulous scones, seasonal milkshakes, and specialty coffees.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
• Offer excellent customer service and ensure all members of the catering team do the same.
• Delivering high standards and a consistently warm welcome within the catering department
• Act as one of our duty manager team, responsible for ensuring a safe and smooth visitor operation, opening/closing and security of buildings, addressing issues and emergency procedure and providing relief cover, as required.
• Plan, prepare, cook, and present food of the highest quality and standard.
• Ensure that food is prepared and served in a timely manner.
• Lead with menu development ensuring presentation of a high-quality food and drink offer.
• Ensure compliance with health and safety, food hygiene, food allergen, licensing, and environmental health standards, completing all related record-keeping.
• Accountable for cost-effective stock management, ordering, storage, and wastage control.
• Supervise the activities of a team of permanent and seasonal Visitor Service Assistants (VSAs), achieving excellent staff performance and motivation through effective induction, training, task-setting and coaching on front and back-of-house routines.
• Prepare catering rotas and holiday allocation to meet business needs.
• Work closely with specialist advisory colleagues, i.e.our Trust-wide Catering Development team
• Instill a Health & safety and Environmental health culture throughout the catering operation
• Share responsibility for achieving the catering budget together with the F& B Manager
• Monitor commercial performance and adjust activities to capitalize on sales opportunities and run a cost-effective catering operation.
• Supervise daily café till operations and perform end-of-day income reconciliation
• Assist the F&B Manager with menu costing and stock-taking.
• You may have delegated tasks within other departments, and you will understand and help deliver the overall property business plan
• This role is one for which the duties, responsibilities or accountabilities of the role require you to undertake a criminal records check, specifically a Standard Disclosure.
Performance indicators and targets
• Weekly, monthly and annual sales and cost of sales targets
• Food compliance standards and record-keeping
• Visitor enjoyment reviews and ratings from visitor surveys and visitor feedback
Tools / equipment / systems
• Access to laptop and relevant online people management, training, financial monitoring and stock ordering systems, including NTS intranet and Microsoft 365.
• EPOS tills and chip and pin machines.
• Fully equipped commercial catering kitchens.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS, EXPERIENCE & KNOWLEDGE
• Level 2 Intermediate Food Hygiene Certificate or above.
• Barista experience
• A full, clean driving license for driving in the UK.
• A formal qualification in Catering, Hospitality, Tourism or Event Management.
• A recognised SQA Licensing Qualification e.g. Scottish Personal License Holder’s Certificate and Personal License.
• Recognised First Aid Qualification (or willingness to train and use this, if not already held).
Experience & Skills
• Successful background in supervising and managing a busy catering environment.
Ability to display a real passion for food and customer service.
Ability to be proactive and to take initiative
Computer literacy with excellent ability on MS software.
Excellent leadership and influencing skills, supervising and supporting staff on a daily basis.
Experience of cash handling, monitoring and interpreting financial data
Well-developed time management and organisation skills.
Understanding of and belief in the work of the National Trust for Scotland
DIMENSIONS AND SCOPE OF JOB
Haddo House is being developed as the Trust’s flagship property in North Aberdeenshire. Haddo Country Park attracts in excess of 270,000 visitors per year and the aim is to translate these numbers into increased visitor numbers and income for Haddo House and its commercial functions. The property has an attractive café and courtyard outdoor eating area, a fully equipped kitchen, retail and admissions area, meeting facilities, a large 250 seated main events hall/ theatre space as well as the Georgian Mansion House and the aim is to improve and develop these facilities over the coming years.
Haddo House Courtyard Cafe currently generates approximately £130k income per annum, though the aim is to grow this over the coming years, including increasing the amount of in-house catering and developing bar provision for small to medium functions.
The Key Responsibilities, Scope of Job, and Required Qualifications, Skills, Experience & Knowledge reflect the requirements of the job at the time of issue. The Trust reserves the right to amend these with appropriate consultation and/or request the post-holder to undertake any activities that it believes to be reasonable within the broad scope of the job or his/her general abilities.
Application Deadline: Sunday 11/06/2023