Visitor Services Supervisor - Functions & Events
Organisation: The National Trust for Scotland
Salary: £24,737 - £26,395 pro-rata, per annum
Location: Fyvie Castle
Do you have a passion for delivering five-star hospitality and events, in one of the most breathtaking buildings in Scotland?
Fyvie Castle has a rich history of providing outstanding hospitality and we are looking for an experienced and talented Functions and Events manager to join the team and continue this tradition.
This is an exciting opportunity within the heritage industry and the ideal candidate must be passionate about our vision for the future and what we do every day as a business: Bringing people together and giving them the greatest visitor experience.
Set within extensive grounds, this imposing 800-year-old fortress, with Raeburn portraits on the walls and wildfowl in the loch is one of the most impressive Castles in the country and is a fabulous place to soak up the atmosphere of old Scotland.
Spread over various floor, Fyvie Castle boasts a range of private dining and entertainment space, as well as one of the most impressive interiors that oozes history and character, making it idea for weddings and corporate events and functions.
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE
To further develop and drive hospitality in its corporate and commercial capacity whilst maintaining and enhancing access to all.
The Functions & Events role at Fyvie Castle is pivotal to ensuring that the management objectives are translated into pragmatic actions by staff, and, with delegated responsibility for opening arrangements, functions and events, is the “face” of the Trust to visitors and corporate/private-hire clients.
As such, they directly influences public perceptions of the Trust and is crucial to developing and maintaining the property’s local/national reputation.
The successful candidate will be expected to work long and unsociable hours on occasion to achieve tough financial objectives. They will be outgoing, assertive and approachable with a flair for innovative ideas and deliver exceptional levels of customer services at all times.
• Planning and operational delivery:
o In conjunction with the Annual Operating Plan and the Operations team, create and deliver a strategy to achieve specific financial and reputational objectives.
o Continue to expand and develop the ongoing yearly event plan
o Maintain and record all communications pertaining to all functions and events.
o Co-ordinating with all departments to ensure an efficient delivery of customer services during functions and events
o Execute the functions and events in conjunction with licensing laws for Public Entertainment Licensing and Alcohol Licensing. This will also include evaluating and creating risk assessments and insurance documents.
• People management:
o Liaise with new and existing stakeholders and initiate partnerships to increase awareness of our heritage.
o Build relationships of trust for all clients from inception to delivery to provide exceptional customer service.
o Line management of the Functions & Events Assistant
o Support the operational team with the recruitment; induction; development; and management of the castle’s seasonal staff and volunteers such that they understand and are equipped to fulfill their roles to the standards required and that they feel valued, respected and supported.
o Supervise services provided by third parties (e.g. suppliers, contractors, franchisees) such that they adhere to Trust policy and standards and ensures the safety of staff, volunteers, visitors and others.
o Deputise as Duty Manager
• Direct management of the heritage:
o Ensure that access arrangements to the Castle (in particular) are coordinated with the Collections Care Assistant, and are consistent with the Trust’s policies and procedures for collections conservation and management, and buildings repair and maintenance on the advice of its specialists (e.g. Conservators, Curators, Building Surveyors).
o Ensure each and every event promotes the Trust’s Strategic Themes
• Business Management & Administration:
o Create and support others’ financial/commercial initiatives that ensure the property’s drive for sustainability.
o Ensure that the administration activities for visitor services at the property is carried out to Trust procedures, including: all relevant reporting relating to staff, visitors, health and safety and finances; and general correspondence/record-keeping etc. N.B. This will include cash-handling and banking activities.
• Health, Safety & Environmental (HS&E) Management:
o Demonstrate responsibility and accountability for H&S relating to visitor services and castle activities , embedding the Trust’s “Safe System of Work” and through active management of procedures (Risk Assessment, CoSHH, HACCP, RIDDOR, reporting), people (staff, volunteers, visitors), tools/equipment, and the site itself.
o Demonstrate responsibility and accountability that visitor services and castle working practices are in line with the Trust’s “Environmental Policy” and mindful of the Trust’s obligations to minimise the impact on the environment, through e.g. efficient use of water/heat/light, recycling and the disposal of waste, considered use of transport.
Split key responsibilities:
Duty Management Hospitality and Events Management
• Develop and promote – in conjunction with the Operations team initiatives that enhance the day-visitors’ experience and demonstrate an appropriate “return on investment” to contribute to the property’s financial sustainability;
• Undertake direct and indirect interaction with day-visitors; ensuring that their needs are anticipated and met as part of the property’s drive for excellence in customer care;
• Ensure that arrangements for the property’s opening are carried out consistently with published information, and that ad hoc access to the property is arranged for educational/other tour groups, and maintenance/repair/conservation activities.
• Support with the ongoing management of the holiday apartment, including liaising with customers, housekeeping and contractors.
• Shared responsibility for weekly banking reconciliation, cash handling and statistic reporting. • Develop and promote – in conjunction with the Operations Manager and the Visitor Services Supervisor – corporate/private-hire business, and a program of special events that demonstrate a “return on investment” to contribute to the property’s financial sustainability;
• Undertake direct and indirect interaction with corporate/private-hire clients, and those attending events; ensuring that their needs are anticipated and met as part of the property’s drive for excellence in customer care;
• Ensure that efficient arrangements are made for the property for events, and corporate/private-hire;
• Coordinate, supervise, and personally participate in the staffing of corporate/private-hire functions and events, and with the advice and support of specialist/advisory staff and volunteers.
• To act as Duty Manager on a shared basis, which will involve weekend and evening work.
SCOPE OF THE ROLE
Financial Management :
• The post holder will be required to business case all activities and to deliver the functions and events within the pre-agreed budget.
• Income Functions & Events c. £90k
• No budget holding responsibility, however, the post holder will be required to use Trust financial systems for the purposes of expenses and the raising purchase orders.
• Welcoming and provision of facilities for c.105,000 visitors per season at Fyvie Castle.
• Working closely with specialist Trust staff (especially: commercial, conservation, marketing, health & safety, human resources) based at local and central support bases to ensure Trust policies and standards are implemented.
• Line management of Functions & Events Assistant.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE
The above outlines the key skills the job holder will need to possess and exercise. In addition, either knowledge of or experience in the following is required:
• Significant previous experience of working in a visitor/heritage attraction – ideally including supervision of staff and/or responsibility for specific activities
• Demonstrable experience in the hospitality sector
• Event Management experience demonstrating organisational and coordination skills
• Significant sales experience with the ability to negotiate effectively
• Strong personal belief in the value of excellent customer care with the ability to translate this into actions
• Excellent team-worker with the ability to work constructively between different teams, and lead/motivate others
• Excellent organisational, administrative and time-management skills with the ability to prioritise and re-prioritise workload to meet changing demands
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills combined with confidence in dealing with a wide range of internal and external customers
• Hard working with a keenness to work flexible hours including evenings and weekends
• The ability to think and act quickly when confronted with emergencies
• Competent user of Microsoft Office products
• A formal qualification in Hospitality or Event Management
• Demonstrable experience of delivering high quality service within a performance indicator environment.
The Key Responsibilities, Scope of Job, and required Skills, Experience & Knowledge reflect the requirements of the job at the time of issue. The Trust reserves the right to amend these with appropriate consultation and/or request the post-holder to undertake any activities that it believes to be reasonable within the broad scope of the job or his/her general abilities.
Application Deadline: Friday 07/04/2023