Visitor Services Supervisor - Functions
Organisation: The National Trust for Scotland
Salary: £25,750 pro-rata, per annum
Location: Mar Lodge Estate
This job exists in order to manage and develop Mar Lodge’s functions and events business, corporate/private hire and sporting client support. The Visitor Services Supervisor will ensure income opportunities are maximised in the context of consistently high standards of customer care and lodge presentation.
Functions at Mar Lodge can range from intimate family dinners and tours to large corporate events and weddings for up to 200 guests. Every function requires the same level of planning and care, in order to deliver an outstanding product to our clients. As Visitor Services Supervisor you must have good self-motivation and organisational skills, and be able to lead a team of staff and external contractors, to deliver events in a smooth and professional manner.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
The key purposes of the job will be met by:
• Developing and managing relationships of trust with potential and existing corporate and private hire clients, such that Mar Lodge continually develops and maintains its status as a ‘destination’ venue, renowned for its excellence of customer service.
• Supervising teams which include members of other Mar Lodge departments and outside contractors such that there is absolute clarity of objectives, tasks and standards; and ensure their delivery towards a collective goal.
• Developing and managing the functions business to increase income as part of the property’s drive for sustainability and help raise the profile of the work of the Trust at Mar Lodge in its wider context.
• Managing allocated budgets to ensure that income targets are met, or exceeded, and that expenditure is prudent and ‘value for money’
• Maintaining and recording all communication pertaining to functions and events, such as dealing with emails, keeping the event diary up to date and informing relevant departments of planned activities.
• Managing equipment and supplies, such as banqueting furniture, catering equipment and supplies, to ensure the operational efficacy of the Lodge.
• Working within the Health & Safety regime to ensure the H&S of staff/volunteers, clients and visitors within the context of the Trust’s “Safe System of Work” regime.
• Coordinating, supervising and personally participating in the delivery and staffing of weddings, functions and events with the advice and support of the Visitor Services Manager and other team members.
• Demonstrating responsibility and accountability that all functions and events are in line with the Trust’s Environmental Policy and being mindful of the Trust’s obligations to minimise the impact on the environment through efficient use of water/heat/light, recycling and disposal of waste and considered use of transport.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS, EXPERIENCE & KNOWLEDGE
The above outlines the key skills the post-holder will need to possess and exercise. In addition, either knowledge of or experience in the following is required:
• Event Management experience demonstrating organisational, time management and coordination skills
• Proven sales skills with the ability to achieve targets
• Strong personal belief in the value of excellent customer care with the ability to translate this in to actions
• Excellent team worker with the ability to work constructively between different teams, and lead and motivate others
• Effective verbal and written communication skills combined with confidence in dealing with a wide range of customers
• Hard working and willing to keep a flexible work pattern
• A willingness to work with and support other departments as and when the need arises
• An understanding and commitment to the aims and objectives of the National Trust for Scotland
• Competent user of Microsoft Office products
• Hold a clean and current UK driving licence.
• A formal qualification in Hospitality or Event Management
• Personal licence holder (or be willing to train)
• Current First aid certification (or be willing to train and use)
• Current food hygiene certification (or be willing to train)
DIMENSIONS AND SCOPE OF JOB
• The post involves some physical activity including prospective client tours of the facilities and lifting and carrying. The Lodge is split over several levels, many of which are not accessible other than by the stairs.
• Due to the nature of a hospitality/functions business frequent evening and weekend work can be expected.
• The post-holder may be required to undertake errands around the estate and to/from local businesses as well as attending meetings at other Trust venues, practical only by vehicle.
The Key Responsibilities, Scope of Job, and Required Qualifications, Skills, Experience & Knowledge reflect the requirements of the job at the time of issue. The Trust reserves the right to amend these with appropriate consultation and/or request the post-holder to undertake any activities that it believes to be reasonable within the broad scope of the job or his/her general abilities.
Interested applicants should forward a completed application form to the People Services Department (Applications), The National Trust for Scotland, Hermiston Quay, 5 Cultins Road Edinburgh EH11 4DF, by mail or by email via firstname.lastname@example.org, by first post Friday, 17th February 2023.
Application Deadline: Friday 17/02/2023