Visitor Services Supervisor - Retail
Organisation: The National Trust for Scotland
Salary: £25,603 - £27,318 per annum
Location: Culloden Battlefield
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE
Culloden Battlefield is an iconic historic site within the heritage and tourism sectors enjoying a high national and international reputation as shown by the 80% of visitors who visit the site from overseas. Culloden Battlefield & Visitor Centre which has museum accreditation status houses an important historic collection.
As a member of the Retail team you are on the front line delivering the income that allows the National Trust for Scotland to look after Culloden Battlefield. Your role will provide world-class welcome/customer service; ensuring the shop is presented to the highest possible standard both in terms of product display and amazing visitor welcome and experience.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
In this role the post holder will assist to deliver high quality welcome/visitor experience at Culloden Battlefield (including but not limited to):
• Undertake the induction/ongoing training of staff on all front-of-house procedures, welcoming/customer care and stock management (delivery processing etc.);
• The correct utilization of the Trust EPOS and Midas Systems;
• Cash handling/reconciliation experience;
• To ensure that the department adheres to cash security procedures in line with the Trust policy and to assume responsibility for cash handling procedures within the department;
• To support VSM-Retail in creative merchandising of shop displays;
• A passion for product and best in class product knowledge;
• Supporting the VSM-Retail with all aspects of stock management: stock take, deliveries, and dealing with delivery discrepancies;
• Deputising for the VSM-Retail in their absence as required;
• Delivering an excellent level of welcome/customer service and inspiring team members to adhere to world-class welcome/customer service standards;
• Being a leader within the team and taking a proactive approach to problems;
• Undertaking Duty Management cover as part of a rota along with regular weekend working. Taking responsibility for opening and closing and security of buildings as well as implementing emergency procedures when required;
• Adhering to the sale of alcohol legislation.
SCOPE OF JOB
• Not a line manager; however, will have a supervisory and leadership role within the Retail team;
• To support team members with CoreHR system;
• Will work closely with other property colleagues, and will also have regular contact with specialist advisory colleagues based in other locations and departments (e.g., Regional Retail Manager North West);
• Will work closely with suppliers and outside contractors;
• Will have regular (daily) interaction with members of the public.
• Not a budget-holder however will be expected to take responsibility for effective management of Trust resources in the allocated areas;
• Share Cash Handling/Reconciliation duties with other senior staff, as appointed by VSM-Retail;
• Train staff in EPOS and cash handling/reconciliation as required;
• To assist the VSM-Retail with accurate stock control procedures (write-off/wastage etc.), stock taking and delivery discrepancies.
Health & Safety, Food Safety, the Environment:
• Ensuring health and welfare of property staff, volunteers and visitors by adhering to the Trust’s Health & Safety and Environment policies and guidelines, Food Safety legislations and procedures including Waste Disposal and Allergens;
• To record and report all accidents within the location, adhering to Trust procedures;
• To assist VSM-Retail in maintaining appropriate SSoW records are regularly updated;
• To assist VSM-Retail establish and maintain location housekeeping schedules;
• To ensure that all Trust procedures and work instructions are fully understood and practiced by all employees;
• To promote and encourage environmental improvement initiatives as appropriate within the property.
Application Deadline: Sunday 01/10/2023