Visitor Services Supervisor - Retail
Organisation: The National Trust for Scotland
Salary: £24,737 - £26,395 pro-rata, per annum
Location: Brodick Castle
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE
Brodick Castle is an idyllic island destination and visitor attraction on the Isle of Arran. As one of the Visitor Services team within the castle, you’ll ensure that all visitors receive an excellent visitor experience and leave feeling inspired by this stunning property and its history. This will be achieved through being welcoming; engaging and knowledgeable; prepared to answer visitors’ questions about objects, stories of the castle and its family and the NTS. This person is frequently in contact with visitors and as such is an ambassador for the Trust, exhibiting consistently excellent customer services while actively promoting the Trust’s aims and services.
• Ensuring the highest level of customer care at all times.
• Actively seeking new opportunities for retail development to enhance both the visitor experience at the property and the contribution it makes to the property’s overall income stream.
• Co-ordinating (and actively participating in) the operation of the shop, including (but not limited to):
o Opening/closing procedures
o Maintenance of a pleasant and safe retail environment
o Stock ordering and control
o Counter service
o Cash handling/reconciliation
o Reporting of income/statistics
o Administration and banking
o As required, maintain the cleanliness and tidiness of the retail area
o Ensure that the retail strategy and budget is managed and delivered
• Managing the retail team members (including volunteers) such that they are guided, supported, trained, developed and valued as key players for the delivery of customer and business requirements.
• Embracing all organisational training required to be taken as part of the role.
• Sharing in the common responsibility of implementing the Trust’s “Health & Safety Policy”, being mindful at all times of the health and safety of self, staff, volunteers, and visitors.
• In accordance with the property’s procedures, sharing in the common responsibility for the safe evacuation or management of colleagues and visitors in the event of a fire or security alert or alarm.
SCOPE OF ROLE
• Will need to undertake end-of-day/end-of-week till procedures and cash reconciliation.
• Maintenance of administration processes, for which training will be given.
• Supervisory/ line management responsibility (including volunteers)
• Will need to communicate efficiently with both internal and external customers
• Will have sales target and budget responsibility:
• Considerable use of Trust financial systems.
SKILLS, EXPERIENCE & KNOWLEDGE
The below outlines the key skills and behaviours the job holder will need to possess and exercise:
• Must have sound working experience dealing effectively with a wide range of people in a public situation
• Must have excellent customer-care skills
• Must be able to demonstrate commercial acumen
• Must be an effective team player
• Must be able to work effectively on own initiative
• Must have a genuine understanding of, and belief in, the work of the National Trust for Scotland.
• Must have a personal commitment to excellence in customer care with the ability to enthuse and motivate others
• Must be willing to show commitment and flexibility in work practice
The Key Responsibilities, Scope of Job, and Required Qualifications, Skills, Experience & Knowledge reflect the requirements of the job at the time of issue. The Trust reserves the right to amend these with appropriate consultation and/or request the post-holder to undertake any activities that it believes to be reasonable within the broad scope of the job or his/her general abilities.
Application Deadline: Friday 24/02/2023