Organisation: The National Trust for Scotland
Salary: £23,595 - £24,913 pro-rata, per annum
Location: Mar Lodge Estate
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE
To assist the Head Stalker in managing and enhancing the game resource and conservation activities on Mar Lodge Estate in accordance with the management plan. The central function of the role is in deer management; with delivering our annual cull being the principal priority but also catering to our sporting clients.
The position plays a key role in the practical implementation of written management plans on the ground. This includes carrying out works in some of the most ecologically significant wildlife communities within the Cairngorms National Park. The location of the Estate in such an area of environmental significance, as well as the high levels of public usage, means that the role is often employed in practical ways to manage the potential conflicts between these interests.
The Key Purposes of the role will be met by:
• Leading on, and being accountable for, the successful delivery of the Mar Lodge Estate Deer Management Plan, and other priority actions (i.e. predator control) over a ‘beat’ (area assigned to each Stalker) of several thousand hectares of remote woodland, moorland and mountainous terrain.
• Advising and supporting the Head Stalker on appropriate management issues and processes, as necessary, and assist in the formulation of appropriate management prescriptions.
• Training, mentoring, and supervising junior staff, seasonal staff, volunteers and guests.
• To implement fully the National Trust for Scotland’s Health and Safety Policy and any processes and procedures specific to issues of game management and sport. To be active in the continual development and review of risk assessments.
• Keeping, training and caring for working dogs to; comply with the legal conditions of deer management authorisations, and to support game shooting and predator control activities.
• Supporting the wider estate in maintenance of key infrastructure using a wide range of plant and machinery.
• Working at all times to a level of service delivery equivalent to, or above, published codes of conduct and best practice relating to areas of work undertaken as part of the duties of a stalker.
• To extend the understanding of visitors to the Estate of game management and field sports and the harmonious benefits to be experienced for both sports, access, and conservation.
Application Deadline: Sunday 25/02/2024