Visitor Services Manager - Food & Beverage (Newhailes)
Organisation: The National Trust for Scotland
Salary: £27,144-£30,023 per annum
You will be responsible for the operational delivery of the café, event catering and ice cream parlour at Newhailes working closely with the property chef. Delivering performance standards and targets to ensure enjoyment of the property by visitors and members is maximised and key commercial, financial and development objectives are achieved to make the property fully sustainable. You will be part of a broader management team responsible for delivering an overall visitor service strategy, promoting good communication across the site and a joined-up service provision.
Visitor Catering Experience
• Overall responsibility for the management and delivery of the catering facilities at Newhailes House and Gardens. This includes, but is not limited to, the Stables Café and The Dairy Ice cream parlour.
• Ensuring innovative ideas and current trends in catering are constantly being delivered in all outlets on site
• Setting objectives and being responsible for the overall, day-to-day running of the catering operations
• Leading and managing a team of staff; managing performance, recognising training needs and potential as appropriate
• Managing budgets – ensuring that, as a minimum, the financial targets agreed with, in line with the budget are met
• Devising, costing and sourcing menu items and consistently looking at ways of maximising income through effective purchasing and creative merchandising
• Adhering to the sale of alcohol legislation, being a Premises Manager
• Regularly monitoring customer feedback, Mystery Visitor and Visit Scotland Audits and develop suitable action plans based on the results
• Being visitor/customer focused by being visible, approachable, and quick to exceed expectations in fulfilling customer needs
Health & Safety, Food Safety, the Environment
• Ensuring that the operation meets statutory requirements of Health and Safety, Food Safety and Environmental legislations and procedures
• Conducting Food Safety and Health and Safety Risk Assessments and ensuring that all standards and procedures with regards to Hygiene and Safety are established and
• Recording and reporting all accidents within the location, adhering to location and company procedures
• Ensuring all equipment is well maintained and is in good working order
• Making recommendations for renewal and replacement of equipment when required.
• Establishing and maintaining location cleaning schedules
• Ensuring that all Trust procedures and work instructions are fully understood and practiced by all employees
• Promoting and encouraging environmental improvement initiatives as appropriate within the business
• Managing food and beverage operations including the following:
o staff and volunteers (recruitment, induction, development, performance management) such that they are fully equipped and motivated to undertake their duties to the required Trust standards.
o budgets (setting, phasing, monitoring, pro-active and re-active adjustments) such that finances are sustainable within the context of the wider property budgets.
o health, safety and the environment in line with stated Trust policies and approaches to ensure the health and welfare of staff/volunteers and visitors,
o recognition of the Trust’s Environmental Policy with respect to sustainable activities, including energy and water use, recycling, use of “environmentally-friendly” products for e.g. cleaning regimes, food-miles and waste etc.
o daily, weekly, yearly and longer-term operational workplans and reporting in the context of the properties’ statements of significance, annual operating plans and action plans (and contribution to these action plans) to ensure that activities are prioritised and planned to optimise the use of resources;
o administration to enable all activities within the post holders’ remit to be undertaken and recorded efficiently within Trust policies and procedures.
• Undertake other duties as and when required to support the overall operation of Brodie Castle & Estate as instructed by the Operations Manager. This will include regular weekends as Duty Manager for the property.
Application Deadline: Friday 10/12/2021